To experience this website in full, please enable JavaScript or upgrade your browser.

Picture of Rose Bowl and Labryinth - Dublin City Univeristy

Moodle Moot 2015 – final notes from Dublin

A final post from Moodle Moot 2015, hosted in Dublin, and a précis of what has happened here. There have been many excellent sessions here – I want to highlight some of the (at least in my opinion) most interesting ones.

• Dr Bart Rientes gave an impressive keynote and talked about the benefits of social engagement in courses; the risk of confusing engagement with satisfaction; the benefits of analytics and the importance of knowing analytics does not give the full view of the learner’s experience
  • Thomas Bell presented on his efforts with implementing a Moodle as a MOOC for United for Wildlife – a notably visual and engaging approach.
  • Alex Walker from Glasgow on “Does your Moodle look the same as it did 5 years ago“, using the apt analogy of a supermarket layout to a moodle.
  • Andrea Bicciolo on large scale Moodle deployment for the Pharma Industry – some of the pitfalls and success of the experience.
  • Martin Dougiamas gave a rousing keynote on the future of Moodle; dispelling myths and talking about the beginnings of the Moodle Association.

I ought to declare that my perspective on Moodle Moot has really been from a technical perspective and less a pedagogical one. To that end, I was taken by Martin Dougiamas’ talk – the man’s passion for open-source and commitment to keep Moodle an open and free project  – it’s impressive. I was surprised that such a widely used and loved application is supported by a team of just 30 odd developers, located in one of the most isolated cities in the world.

SP